The Sherburn visiting scheme has been in existence for over 25 years and it’s aim is still to improve the quality of life of local residents and alleviate loneliness by encouraging clients to participate in our many and varied activities. They are finding it difficult to continue operating our services due to a shortage of volunteers.
- They need drivers, cooks, and volunteers for our regular commitments which include the following.
- Providing transport to GP appointments and hospitals.Preparing and delivering meals-on-wheels, this is on a Tuesday and Thursday with a time commitment of an hour and a half every four
- Preparing and delivering meals-on-wheels, this is on a Tuesday and Thursday with a time commitment of an hour and a half every four weeks.
- Driving the minibus door to door service to Selby on a Monday morning and to Castleford on a Friday morning.
- Driving the minibus on a Thursday
- Driving the mini bus on a Thursday morning, supplying a door to door service transporting users to local shops, assisting with bags. Some users are then taken to the Methodist Church for a pre-booked hot lunch which is cooked and served by our volunteers.
- Holding a social afternoon at the Lady Popplewell Centre on alternate Tuesdays. A range of activities are offered and refreshments served.
- A memory cafe is held on Monday afternoons in Sherburn Library.
- They also organise regular social events which include holidays, the seaside, visits to markets and retail outlets, fish and chip lunches and theatre visits. They try to cater for users of all abilities, using the local community minibus which has a tail-lift for wheelchairs, as well as their own 6 seater minibus.
If you are able to spare a few hours a month and would like the satisfaction of keeping the above services running or would like further information please contact the SVS on 01977 681828.