Saturday morning saw the Co-op announce that £6,474.62 had been raised for local community projects. The money comes from Co-op members who take part in The Co-op Local Community Fund which is Co-ops way of giving back to their members and their communities.
How do you become a member?
You pay £1 to become a member and this buys you a share in Co-op, which gives you:
- 5% back to spend next time when you buy Co-op products
- a share of their profits if they do well
- the right to vote on how they do business
- 1% of what you spend on local causes near you
What is The Co-op Local Community Fund?
The £6,474.62 has been raised by Co-op members who purchased selected products and services from Co-op Group businesses. 1% of what you spend on selected, Co-op own-brand products goes into your local community fund and the money raised by all the members in your community, together with money from shopping bag sales, helps to fund local projects in the area where you live.
Any money raised by members who don’t select a cause is added to the money raised from shopping bag sales and shared equally between the causes in their local area.
What causes did the money go to?
Of the £6,474.62 that was raised:
- £2,124.49 will be donated to the South Milford Memorial Park
- £2,103.53 will be donated to the Sherburn in Elmet Hungate School
- £2,246.60 will be donated to the Old Girls’ School for the community cinema