Warning Over Toxic Plant at Eversley Park

An unconfirmed discovery has been made of a toxic plant near the scout hut at Eversley Park.

The plant, Giant Hogweed, is known to cause large blisters and ulcers if it comes into contact with the skin or even blindness if it comes into contact with the eyes. It is one of the most toxic plants in Britain and it is thought that the recent warm weather has encouraged rapid growth.

In appearance it can be mistaken for cow parsley with clusters of small white flowers in an umbrella shape with a thick green stem.

The sighting has been reported to the Parish Council but not yet officially confirmed by an expert.

The warning goes out particularly to dog walkers and children who pass the area concerned. Care should be taken and avoid making any contact with the plant.

If you think you may have come into contact with the dangerous plant, wash the area immediately with soap and water and seek medical advice.

More detailed information on Giant Hogweed may be found here